Check out the best AFK Arena teams which are dominating the current metagame. Teams for both new players and late-game phase are included.
Best Late Game PvE Teams
If you are using mobile, tap on the + button to see each team’s information.
Using Talene as the main carry while cycling energy through all 4 other heroes, this build completely shuts the enemy ultimates down while constantly casting its own. This is on top of the CC and sustains offered, making the team unkillable too.
This is the big whale comp that is extremely expensive to build with many essential pieces that are hard to substitute.
|Besides the 5 faction bonus, there isn't too much synergy going on (relative to other lineups here). However, this is just a combination of raw power where each individual hero is able to handle a single opponent of their own and collectively win as a team.||S+|
|The build scales Khazard as a hyper carry using Arthur to buff his crits and attack speed. Mehira benefits too, allowing her to draw more energy from faster attacks for more frequent ultimates. It is also common to see only Mehira/Khazard with Arthur.||S+|
|Using Eironn's pull to group enemies into Safiya's "Spectral Disruption" for a big cluster ultimate while reducing enemy attack and haste ratings by 50%. Heroes like Rowan/Lyca help make this possible faster while Tasi offering crowd control.||S|
|This lineup, commonly known as the "Thoran Cheese", revolves around repositioning enemy heroes near Thoran such that they attack into his "Retaliation" skill and receive massive amounts of return damage, potentially wiping them out||S|
|The entire team revolves around getting the most damage out of Gwyneth as possible with heroes like Arthur buffing her stats and Estrilda helping to reposition enemies into the backline. Hendrik sort of does this too but is the less aggressive variant.||S|
|An extremely flexible comp with heavy crowd control and high damage from Eironn and Belinda. Eironn can also act as a support grouping enemies up for some devastating damage on Belinda with Rosa-line supporting her||A|
|The agility carry build relying on Lyca's sig-nature item to deal substantial damage while putting enemies under crowd control using Rowan and Tasi. This was made stronger with the introduction of Elder Tree and Celerity stacking||A|
|A less aggressive variation of the Gwyneth lineup that offers more crowd control and defenses using Ferael and Lucius. While this does see quite a lot of play, seems gen-erally less capable of pushing the larger level deficits without the use of Rosaline||A|
|Very similar to the Gwyneth Ferael lineup except with Shemira, the player loses out on a lot of damage. That said, Shemira is very easy to position and the free slot from dropping Arthur allows for even more damage mitigation such as Fawkes.|
This is the "peasant" comp typically ran by casual players who aren't looking to hard push and is comfortable on Shemira .
|Simple, well-balanced lineup relying heavily on multiple Belinda ultimates with Rosaline for damage and Lucius/Fawkes to help with survivability. Being mono-faction, it is also extremely potent for pushing the LB tower specifically.|
People talk about the pure LB comp a lot but realistically it's only used between 24-26 and rarely sees play afterward .
Full Credits go to Whitesushii
Quick Guide to AFK Arena Best Teams for Beginners
For new players who do not want to spend money on AFK Arena, one of your first x10 Summons must have Shemira. She will make your journey a lot easier.
The absolutely best tip for all new beginners is to understand which faction to focus on first and what should be the main carry of the team. Only spend your faction scrolls on that one faction and do your best to get your main carry to the ascended tier and pick a suitable team for him/her by making the most of the Tavern Wishlist and Event Rewards.
AFK Arena best team in early and mid-game should have Shemira because:
- She is extremely powerful and versatile: Great for campaign maps, PvP battles (both defending & attacking), Bosses, Peaks of Time, Voyage of Wonders, etc. Although Shemira isn’t that great for PvP at the late game, she is still excellent at Labyrinth, Guild Hunts, and other PvE activities. Belinda is the only great replacement for her.
- You can purchase her in the Labyrinth Store
- You can get her in Peaks of Time Chapter 7
- Campaign Chapter 16-1 gives you another Shemira
- Peaks of Time 13 gives you a great weapon for her
- Peaks of Time 15 gives you a great pair of boosts for her
- Factional King’s Tower gives you a weapon for her when completing 40 floors
The Best Shemira Teams
+ /// + / + +
+ /// + + +
Teams for Late Game
+ / + + +
+ + + +
+ + + +
Maulers are not a recommended faction for free to play players so I do not want to mention it in this section.
3-skill Heroes are 99% fodders. You can use them to ascend other Heroes without even thinking.
AFK Arena: Team Building Guide
Guide written by Aesyr (ID: 32314533, Discord Tag: Aesyr#6450)
Hero Types and Equipment
- Tank: Absorb most of the damage and protect the team
- Carry: Damage dealer
- Support: Aids to crowd control the enemy, protect/heal the team, or add additional damage
Each hero is based on an attribute of Strength, Agility, or Intelligence.
The attribute primarily affects the type of gear they can wear which provide stats not obtained from leveling like Accuracy, Crit, Dodge, Physical Resist (PR), Magical Resist (MR), and Movement Speed (MSPD).
|Able to tank physical damage well due to gear and skill that mitigates damage further. Can heal and protect the entire team.|
|If wearing high dodge gear, can avoid all damage that could potentially kill other tanks such as high level Saveas attacks or Athalia strikes. Her sig allows increased dodging of magic attacks too.|
|If overleveled or against mages, can tank due to magic resist and life leeching abilities to heal back|
|Skills focus on damage and even normal attacks can harm multiple enemies.|
|Spirits perform a lot of crowd control and damage effects.|
|Strong ultimate and boosts attack for heroes on your side of the field|
|Crowd control abilities and boosts allies attack and energy|
|Allows allies a quick start, lowers def, and boost attack|
|Healing, energy gain, and stunning|
There are many other heroes who can fulfill each role. The role may change based upon enemy composition too as some stages may allow heroes like Lyca or Estrilda to tank in front.
Factional M (T1) 5* gear as a reference
|HP||65700||68400||133200||267300||High HP, physical resist, and defense|
|HP||39600||64800||90000||194400||High attack, accuracy, and dodge|
|HP||50400||54000||115200||219600||High attack, crit, and magic resist|
While individual heroes might be particularly good in a certain role, the most important part of team building is how the heroes interact with each other to strengthen the team.
An immediate effect on the team is the hero’s faction, which determines their strengths and weaknesses against other factions.
|Dimensional||No strength or weakness|
The arrows point to the faction that they are strong against. If using Lightbringer heroes, they are weak against Graveborn but strong against maulers. Celestial and hypogean are strong and weak against each other (each deal 25% more damage against the other).
The faction also plays a role in the team bonuses which occur when a certain number of heroes of a particular faction are in the team.
|3 Wilders and 2 Maulers|
|2 Celestials and 3 Wilders:|
ATK + 25% and HP + 25%
|1 Hypogean, 1 Celestial, and 3 Wilders:|
ATK + 15%, HP + 20%, DEF + 30%
After considering the hero types and factions, a team can be built together. The below table contains examples of team compositions with primarily legendary tier to explain the strengths and weaknesses. Until legendary tier heroes reach their maximum level of 160, they are as good as ascendent tier heroes. Since they are also more common, legendary heroes can be easier to ascend to legendary+ and help out more in the early game.
Countering The Opponents
Beyond building a team with good synergy, the formation and positioning of the heroes matter as you need to counter the enemy formation and heroes. The enemy party has its own synergy that you would want to disrupt.
When starting a stage, it’s helpful to see the kind of enemy heroes on the battlefield to start formulating a game plan. Typically, putting in your strongest five heroes or your favorite line-up and seeing what happens for the first few runs helps to get a sense of what is happening. Watching the replay can be useful too.
- Tanks should be placed on the side with most damage dealers (placement may change after crowd control like Tasi banish or Fawkes coffin removes the biggest threat at the start of battle)
- Use carry or crowd control to address biggest threat first
- Certain heroes are also better at countering other heroes such as Fawkes for removing Brutus’ invulnerability or Nara’s ultimate which bypasses the invulnerability.
- Learning the abilities of each hero (especially your team and the enemy) helps a lot
The Speed (MSPD) stat allows your heroes to move and use abilities quicker. With faster speed, your heroes could crowd control, heal, or attack before the enemy team.
The biggest way to control the flow of battle is through crowd control, which makes the Speed (mspd) stat very important. Your team should be the first one causing disruptive skills to prevent the enemy from being effective.
Methods to improve Speed:
- Boots (str or int heroes)
- Some signature items at +5, +15, +25, or +35 (e.g. Lucius, Nemora, Nara)
- Hero skills (e.g. Lyca’s Awe, Elijah & Lailah’s ult)
- Dura’s call (from Peaks of Time)
- Dura’s Sustenance and Dura’s Fortitude (Elder Tree)
This section analyzes some of the most common obstacles and counters.
All of the explanations for uses and counters are only a subset of what is possible.
Due to the numerous heroes, there are certainly many more possibilities available so it’s highly encouraged to use this section as a reference and to experiment on your own.
|Agi Tanks||Since agility tanks rely on dodging, they are best used against slow attacking heroes like Golus. On the other hand, Athalia can be tougher to dodge due to her fast attack speed and high accuracy as an Agi hero.|
|Back row targets||Usually high damage dealers and crowd control units are protected in the back row|
|Buffs||Improves your team to kill faster or last longer|
|Crowd Control||Prevent enemies from doing anything|
|Debuffs||Weakening the enemy with debuffs to lower their attack, accuracy, haste, etc helps to reduce the threat.|
|High Burst Damage||Dealing lots of high burst damage can kill off an enemy before they can heal or shield themselves (Athalia’s first strike, Saveas, etc)|
|Initial Abilities||Some heroes always cast a particular skill at the start of battle (Eironn’s vortex, Safiya’s field, Athalia’s judgement, Nara’s impale, etc). They allow you to immediately crowd control or change the flow of battle.|
|Invulnerability||Allows hero to tank infinite damage|
|Energy||Heroes accumulate energy when receiving damage, dealing damage, killing enemies, or using certain skills (e.g. Rowan’s and Rosa’s ult, Estrilda’s inspire, Lyca’s Awe, Ezizh’s mental fury). After reaching 1000 points, they may use their ultimate ability.|
|Ultimates||Ultimate abilities are usually the strongest abilities which can cause a lot of healing, damage, or other effects|
Take a look at this article to see how the most popular Heroes in AFK Arena work!
Pulling it Together!
Assembling a great team requires team synergy and understanding the enemy. Realizing the type of interactions they have with each other allows you to use the appropriate skills to disrupt the enemy and win.
Using these concepts, let’s try to tackle a stage.
Step by Step
- Building the team – When selecting a team, you are limited by what you summoned but try to create one that is well rounded. The team should be your reference point when attempting a stage.
- Scout the enemy – observe the enemies you are facing.
- Battle – Give it a try! No harming in attempting several times to see what happens and observe the type of skills the enemies throw at you.
- Observe and analyze – Analyze what happens in the battle and figure out why you might be winning or losing. You can watch the replay.Check out the battle recap for some additional information. The columns correspond to damage dealt, amount healed, and damage received.
- High threat targets
- Isabelle and Silvina did the most damage
- Niru becomes more powerful as heroes die and he healed a lot
- Crowd control
- Silvina targeted Arden and blocked rooting
- Golus and Brutus are quite sturdy
- Brutus has invulnerability
- High threat targets
- Reaction: How can things be changed for a more favorable outcome?
- Retry: Every battle has some randomness in it due to dodge, crit, etc. Consequently, try the battle a few times to see if things go your way with some more favorable crowd control, dodges, etc. On more difficult stages, it may take 20-30+ tries. Some of those should hopefully be a close attempt though.
- Formation: Adjusting your positioning allows heroes to attack, tank, or crowd control different enemies.If Saveas was moved to the top, he would most likely attack Niru last who would become more powerful as heroes die. We could potentially try swapping Hendrick with Lucius to see if that helps out more in tanking. Perhaps, putting Arden at the top would help too as Silvina would work her way downward towards the tanks first before going to Saveas.
- Change units: Sometimes, a stage is much easier with a different set of heroes as they may have better faction advantages or skills to deal with the opposition. Try replacing a couple of heroes to see if that helps or even the entire team if nothing else works.Since isabelle is a high dps hero with two strong tanks in front, Saveas cannot reach her easily. Nara could be used at the middle back position to try crowd controlling her. Nara could also be used to pull Silvina off of Arden. Maybe, Mirael in the middle could damage everyone with her ult.
- Change gear: Gear may need to be swapped around to give more protection to a particular hero or boost damage. If Dura’s artifacts are available, try moving them around too. If Shemira dies before using her ultimate, Dura’s call could help her generate energy faster.
- Power Up: If the power gap is too big, the team may need to level up or ascend to a higher tier. In this case, collect afk rewards, battle in the lab, climb the tower stages, or some other activity before attempting again in the future.
- Mercenaries: Borrowing a stronger hero or one that you may not have could help to counter the enemies in the current stage. When borrowing, politely ask if they can put a Dura’s artifact on the hero before sending it to you and equip your strongest 5 heroes with your best equipment until you receive the mercenary. This allows the borrowed mercenary to have an artifact and the strongest gear possible. As a note, mercenaries can only use gear with no faction.
- Victory: Pat yourself on the back! Job well done! Remember what you did and apply the lessons for future battles.
|Brutal Citadel 200|
|Forsaken Necropolis 210|
|Brutal Citadel 210|
|King’s Tower 345|
Hopefully, you have got yourself a great AFK Arena Team after reading this guide!